Military and Overseas Voters

Register and Request a Vote-by-Mail Ballot in Florida

Uniformed service members, their dependents and citizens residing outside the United States may use the Federal Post Card Application below to register to vote, request a vote-by-mail ballot and to update their contact information. 


You may also request a vote-by-mail ballot from the elections office by email,, or fax, 941.861.8617.
The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) ensures eligible citizens can apply to register to vote and vote by absentee ballot (vote-by-mail). Citizens covered under UOCAVA include:
  • Absent uniformed service members
  • Absent U.S. merchant marine members
  • Eligible family members of the above
  • U.S. citizens residing outside the United States

The Military and Overseas Voters Empowerment Act (MOVE), which amended UOCAVA, requires states to send vote-by-mail ballots to absent military and overseas voters at least 45 days prior to a federal election. The supervisor of elections will send a ballot to each qualified UOCAVA voter who has requested a vote-by-mail ballot 45 days prior to each presidential preference primary, primary and general election.

Uniformed service members and their dependents residing in their voting jurisdictions are not covered under UOCAVA.


Voters must be registered in the state of Florida at least 29 days before an election to be eligible to vote in that election. However, pursuant to 97.055, F.S., an individual or accompanying family member who has been discharged or separated from the uniformed services or the U.S. Merchant Marine or has returned from a military deployment after the book closing date for an election and who is otherwise qualified, may register to vote in such election until 5 p.m. on the Friday before that election in the office of the supervisor of elections. You must produce sufficient documentation showing evidence of eligibility for late registration.


For uniformed service members and their dependents: you must have or have had physical presence in Florida and the intent to remain in or make the state your home or domicile. You may only have one legal residence at a time. Consult your legal or JAG officer for more information on determining your legal residency for voting purposes.

For overseas citizens: "legal state of residence" for voting purposes is the state you last resided immediately prior to your departure from the United States. This right extends to overseas citizens even though they may no longer own property or have other ties to their last state of residence and their intent to return to that state may be uncertain. Consult a voting assistance officer at the nearest embassy/consulate for more information.


The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) was created to implement the requirements of UOCAVA. FVAP provides direct voter assistance to military and overseas voters regardless of their location in the world. Voting assistance officers, assigned to units of military installations and at each U.S. embassy or consulate, have a copy of the voting assistance guide to assist uniformed and overseas citizens.

Any question that cannot be answered by a voting assistance officer should be directed to the federal voting assistance program at:

Questions? Please call 941.861.8618.

Ron Turner, Supervisor of Elections, Sarasota County
EMAIL: • OFFICE HOURS: M-F, 8:30 AM - 5 PM • MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. Box 4194 Sarasota, FL 34230-4194
Terrace Building
101 S. Washington Blvd.
Sarasota, FL 34236

PHONE: (941) 861-8600
FAX: (941) 861-8609
ESPAÑOL: (833) 912-1316

Robert L. Anderson Administration Center
4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Rm 114
Venice, FL 34293

PHONE: (941) 861-3760
FAX: (941) 861-3770
ESPAÑOL: (833) 912-1316

Biscayne Plaza
13640 Tamiami Trail
North Port, FL 34287

PHONE: (941) 423-9540
FAX: (941) 423-9256
ESPAÑOL: (833) 912-1316

PLEASE NOTE: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. Florida Statute 668.6076.